I have loved Harry Potter since I was eleven and my elementary school teacher (who's name I have happily forgotten) started reading the first book to my class. Soon I was demanding the books for assorted Christmas, birthday and "hey I don't like to be stuck at the summer cabin for months"- presents.
Ever since those golden days Harry Potter has been a big inspiration in my life (I have even written fanfiction stories which I call "The thing that will never be published") and naturally I have worn some Harry Potter inspired coordinates over the years and await wearing many more in the years to come. Here are just a few ideas I might utilize when the time comes.
House pride makes a good start
My Hogwarts house. according to Pottermore and assorted internet quizzes is the noble house of Salazar Slytherin, so naturally my house pride outfit is inspired by the cunning, ambitious, Slytherins. The method I used to make this coordinate will however work on any of the houses.
I suggest a splash of the house colours, in my case silver and green, utilization of the houses emblem, in my case the often misunderstood snakes, and adding some unique things to reflect your style.
In this case as pointed above I used Slytherin colours and emblem and decided to add a really snobbish umbrella to a relatively casual outfit to make it bit fancier. I was also rather liberal with jewelery because I feel it would suit the Slytherin spirit.
Evil comes in.... Pink tweed packages?
Yes this was inspired by Dolores Umbridge. Yes she is a nasty piece of work and possibly the most hated character in the entire series. But... I have to admit that she had a pretty epic style. Especially in the movies. Now I am not a very pink person but her look has this iconic flavor I just can't resist.
To create this Umbridge inspired coordinate I combined her movie colour palette with her book description. Everything is pink and covered in cat jewelery but she is wearing the cardigan and the head bow mentioned in Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix. I wanted to make her outfit sort of businessy and bossy by using a very tailored type of jumper skirt.
Fandom is fun
- Add a house scarf or tie to you outfit. Scarfs are a darling addition to an outfit especially if it's a bit cooler. Just make sure everything matches nicely.
- A witch hat is also a nice addition especially around Halloween. It is a more costumey element and should be used on more OTT- looks.
- Wear something robe like, maybe a bolero or capelet with deep hood to feel like a proper witch.
- Draw inspiration from the other schools mentioned in the series. Beuxbatons already has some very loliable uniforms for ladies.
- Become a ghost by wearing something white. Ghosts are after all very important in Harry Potter.
So these are my ideas about Harry Potter. What kind of fandom related outfits have you worn, dear reader? And also what is your house in Hogwarts?